Healthy Gooey Chocolate Cake
How about a cake that has no refined flour, no refined sugar and no fat; but still tastes amazing. Sounds unbelievable, but try this one, the healthy gooey chocolate cake. You will realise that healthy and delicious together are possible in desserts also. This is also a gluten free recipe and has higher protein content. Every bite is packed with nutrition and has no empty calories.
To cut the confusion short; I have used jawar (sorghum) flour with almond flour instead of maida. Instead of sugar there are dates. And honestly, I had kept olive oil in the ingredients when making the batter; but felt no need of extra fat seeing the consistency of batter. So gave it a skip and the cake turned out really delicious without fat. – “ No Fat” – Love it !
Baking and over indulging in baked goods is an addiction + temptation, and I know how it feels after that sinful treat. The very thought of “tomorrow onwards” will temporarily satisfy the mind, but the weighing scale will say it all.
So have no worries, we can indulge into these healthy kind of treats, specially when valentine is around the corner. Try this recipe this valentine and get indulged. #noregrets. Its quite an easy recipe, don’t need special equipment – just collect your ingredients and bake.
There are few points here, just go through them. These might be of help in baking the healthy gooey chocolate cake at home.
1. About almond flour; you can either buy the almond flour or make it at home. The accurate way of making almond flour at home is to blanch the almond. Pat them dry and use a food processor on pulse mode to grind into fine powder. I do take a short cut in making almond flour for some recipes. My quick idea is to pulse whole almonds in food processor, where no balancing will be needed. The texture also depends on individual choice, I personally don’t like very fine grind in some recipes. One point I would like to mention here is, don’t ever let the mixer go on high for long while grinding almonds. The mix will turn into almond paste. Use only pulse mode.
I use jawar (sorghum) flour which is higher in calcium, iron, protein and fibre. You will be able to find it easily from your regular grocers.
2 . To make date puree- Easy tip here is pour few spoons of water on seedless dates and microwave them for few seconds. This loosens the stiff fibrous bond of threads in dates and helps in puree making. After you microwave the dates, let them cool for couple of minutes and grind them in your regular mixer grinder. You can add a bit of water to the mix for easy movement in the grinder. Just make sure it’s not too much water as that can then affect the consistency of the cake batter.
3. You will need to accurately measure the ingredients and use a preheated oven for baking.
4. Most important point here is don’t over bake the cake, or the cake can turn out dry. I used my 8 inch round baking pan for this recipe and it took less than 20 minutes in my oven at 160* C. I would like to mention here is that my this new oven is hotter then my previous oven. So, please go with your baking instincts. Tip here would be – when you insert the toothpick in the centre of the baked cake, it should come out with some wet crumbs on it. Something similar to brownies. Tentative time line would be 20 to 25 minutes, and please check after 15 minutes of baking time.
5 . Good quality chocolate will give better results.
1. 3/4th cup almond flour
2. 1/2 cup jawar (sorghum) flour
3. 1 teaspoon of baking powder
4. A pinch of salt
5. 3/4th cup date puree
6. 2 eggs
7. 130 gm of chocolate
Preheat the oven at 160* C and line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a bowl, mix almond flour and jawar flour with baking soda and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, add the date puree and eggs. Make sure that the eggs and puree, both, are room temperature.
Melt the chocolate on a double boiler ( or in microwave). When the chocolate cools down – add it into date mixture. Now you will combine the wet ingredient s with dry ingredients, using a rubber spatula.
Pour the prepared mix in the baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 160* C. When the cake is done, let it cool on a wire rack and you can serve it fresh and bit warm. Adding fruits on the side would be great, it adds to the occasion. If not on diet, you can serve some vanilla ice cream along. Enjoy with the one you love this valentine 🙂 happy valentine day.