Eating ice cream is far more pleasure-able then making ice cream at home, especially when you don’t have an ice cream churning machine. I am gonna take you through a process of making an awfully delicious Sitaphal(custard apple) ice-cream at home; without a machine and without eggs. It was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, I am all thrilled to share with you.
If you are a Mumbaikar you must have had Sitaphal ice-cream at Naturals (very popular ice-cream parlour). And you know how amazing Sitaphal ice-cream tastes. This recipe is from an age-old recipe book I got from my aunt.
Honestly … I didn’t believe in the recipe at first as I went through the book. But these custard apples were lying in my fridge since a week now and they were full ripped and sweet. I finally decided to give the recipe a try and wow … I was damn impressed.
Having an electric churner Kitchenif Ice Cream, Sorbet, Slush & Frozen Yoghurt Maker Capacity 1.5 liters (White) at home; I have never given any try to such an ice-cream recipe. Because for a fact we know that for the soft and creamy texture in ice-cream we need to churn the ice-cream as its getting frozen.
Many of us have given tries to various methods like Bag method: Where you fill a large plastic bag with ice and salt and then put a smaller bag inside with ice cream mix. After lots of shaking and agitation, the mix in the inner bag will get cold enough to freeze into ice cream. The only benefit I see in this methods – You lose a lot more calories in the making and it gives you the extension to overindulge without any guilt feeling later.
The other famous method of making ice-cream at home without a machine is simply stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes for about 3-4 hours as it freezes in the freezer.
If you don’t have an electric ice-cream maker at home, and you really want to make ice-cream at home, you have to give this recipe a try. It’s fuss-free and quick to make. Sitaphal is in season too; so don’t try to give yourself an excuse for not making this Sitaphal ice-cream at home for your family.
It can be tricky to get ice cream to have that perfect firm, yet creamy consistency that is the trademark of good ice cream. So let’s talk about some tips that will help you nail the texture:
1. First and most important point: don’t try to convert this recipe to a low-fat recipe… please, you can reduce the quantity when indulging, you can go for a run next morning, but just enjoy making and relishing it as it is. Because high-fat content is needed to create a creamy texture in ice-cream that won’t get icy and gritty in the freezer.
Make ice cream an occasional treat, or maybe a reason to celebrate.
2 . Sweet frozen treat like ice-cream is reliant on dairy with a fat content, like heavy cream. It’s what gives ice cream its rich flavour and smooth, creamy texture.
Using cream: I have used a brand called Tropolite which had added sugar in the ingredients (means: it’s sweet). So I didn’t use and extra sugar when making.
If you are not able to find this, go ahead and use Amul whipping cream which is easily available. But you will need to add extra sugar to the recipe. For the quantity mentioned below in the recipe, 1/2 cup of icing sugar would work perfectly — if the cream you are using is not sweet. Don’t forget to taste when making the ice cream, so you have all the opportunity to adjust the flavours before it freezes.
3 . The first step in the recipe says: combine milk powder with milk and cook on a low flame. It is very important to combine both properly before you start to heat it. Or you will end up with lumps in the ice-cream.
4 . Once the mixture is heated and cooked, bring to room temperature before adding Sitaphal pulp. Or you can loose the Sitaphal flavours.
5. The only equipment you will need is a hand blender Philips Daily Collection HR1459 300-Watt Hand Mixer (White and Beige). And please don’t give this a skip. If you make the ice-cream mix and freeze in the freezer you’ll have a solid block of icy dairy — not a scoopable fun. You have to prevent large ice crystals from forming while freezing the mix. This method makes the process much quicker, and you only need to mix it once and seal in an airtight container and freeze.
You have to prevent large ice crystals from forming while freezing the mix. This method of whipping the prepared mix with a whisk attachment of handheld electric mixer makes the process much quicker, and you only need to mix it once and seal in an airtight container and freeze.
6 . Use ripped and sweet Sitaphal. I know removing seeds from Sitaphal is a time-consuming process. Do this while watching some tv show or when you are on a phone call. I was listing to a science chapter from my younger one when removing seeds from the fruit.
7. Keep some pulp separate as an extra add-on, before you freeze the ice cream mix. As you take a bite into the creamy goodness the small bits of fruits adds a lot of texture and flavour and make it more enjoyable.
8. Ice cream will stay softer when you store it in a shallow container, rather than a deep tub, and cover the surface of the ice cream with plastic wrap, it will prevent ice crystals from forming. Or use an airtight container to freeze the ice-cream.
9. Ice-cream will need a freezing time over 12 hours before you try to scoop and enjoy. So make it a day before you plan to serve it.
Let’s get started with the ice-cream recipe now
Custard Apple Pulp 1 cup
Full fat Milk 1 cup
Milk powder 1 cup
Nestlé Everyday Dairy Whitener, 400G
Fresh heavy whipping cream 1 cup
Sugar if the cream you are using is not sweet – 1/2 cup icing sugar
Combine milk with, milk powder, in a heavy bottomed pan and mix well. Cook the mix on low flame, till you lose the raw flavours of milk powder. (You can add the sugar at this stage)
Once the mix is cooked bring it to room temperature and the Sitaphal pulp. Give the mix a quick stir in a food blender and pour in a big bowl.
Add the fresh cream a handheld and held mixture with a whisk attachment to whip up the ice-cream mix.
Pour into a shallow airtight container, cover it and freeze till sets. Scoop and serve.