I prefer making Schezwan Sauce at home because of many obvious reasons. The quality of ingredients, preservative, high sodium presence. It might seem too much work, but actually, it’s super easy to make at home. The whole idea is to balance out the spice with the rest of the ingredients.
The Schezwan Sauce with lots of garlic and ginger is definitely great, but today I have a recipe for Jain Schezwan Sauce here which has no garlic and ginger.
Click here for the recipe of Schezwan Sauce
I have used red chillies with low to medium spice level if you feel it is too hot to handle then deseed them and then prepare the chilli sauce.
Do you know that the schezwan sauce is originated from the Szechuan cuisine which is originated from Sichuan province in southwestern China?
Many recipes will call for Szechuan peppercorn for Schezwan sauce.
It is a fragrant, mouth-numbing spice and is a key ingredient in Szechuan cuisine. It is not heavy on spice hotness, but interestingly it tingles the tastebuds, lips and mouth. Hence enhances the taste.
It has a pinkish-red husk around a black seed which is roasted and ground as a spice. The seed is discarded as it gives a sandy texture.
We can make the schezwan sauce without Szechuan peppercorn, but if you can, you must give it a try to know the difference in taste.
The closet substitute of Schezwan peppercorn Original Indian Table Himalayan Timur (Indian Schewan Pepper),50g is a mix of black peppercorn and coriander seed.
Chilli seeds are removed to make it little less spicy. If you want the sauce to be extremely spicy, do not remove seeds from dried chillies.
You can use an assortment of dry chillies to get your desired colour and heat.
Add more oil for a longer shelf life of the sauce. Oil should be floating on top of the sauce in a container.
Add a little bit more vinegar and sugar to give it a spicy, tangy and sweet taste.
Jain Schezwan Sauce
2 cups of dry red chillies
Shirish Masala Mathania Red Chilli (Lal Mirch) Stemless,100% Authentic Mathania Mirch,Highest Quality( 400g)
¼ cup sesame oil
Puvi 1L Cold Pressed Gingelly / Sesame Oil (Virgin, Chekku / Ghani) – 1 Litre
1/4th cup chopped celery stick
1 small green capsicum chopped
1 small red bell pepper chopped
½ tsp asafetida / hing Patanjali Bandhani Hing, 25g
¼ cup of water
½ tsp Szechuan peppercorn, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and coriander seed crushed (mixed)
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
salt to taste
Firstly, soak dried red chilli in hot water for 30 minutes or till they turn soft.
Discard the water and blend to smooth paste adding water if required. keep aside.
In a wok, heat ¼ cup sesame oil.
Put in the chopped celery. Stir fry for a minute, add in asafetida chopped capsicum, and red bell pepper cook for a minute or so. and then stir the red chilli paste.
Cook until the chilli paste is nicely cooked and oil begins to ooze out.
Then add ¼ cup water and adjust consistency.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Make sure to cook the sauce till oil floats on top.
Furthermore add in Szechuan peppercorn, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar and salt to taste.
Mix well making sure everything is combined well.
Jain Schezwan Sauce
- Cooking Wok
- Mixer Grinder
- 2 cups dry red chilies https://amzn.to/2pk26BA
- 1/4th cup sesame oil https://amzn.to/2MUNce1
- 1/4th cup chopped celery stick
- 1 small green capsicum chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp asafetida / hing https://amzn.to/32Vzayu
- 1/4th cup water
- 1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorn, crushed https://amzn.to/2pXBqGH
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- salt to taste
- Firstly, soak dried red chilli in hot water for 30 minutes or till they turn soft.Discard the water and blend to smooth paste adding water if required. keep aside.
- In a wok, heat ¼ cup sesame oil.Put in the chopped celery. Stir fry for a minute, add in asafetida chopped capsicum , and red bell pepper cook for a minute or so. and then stir the red chili paste.
- Cook until the chili paste is nicely cooked and oil begins to ooze out.Then add ¼ cup water and adjust consistency.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.Make sure to cook the sauce till oil floats on top.Furthermore add in Szechuan peppercorn , vinegar, soy sauce, tomato ketchup , sugar and salt to taste.
- Mix well making sure everything is combined well.