Quinoa Appetizers – Recipe
Quinoa is pronounced as “kēn-ˌwä“. It is a very mild flavor grain, with a light crunch and a very impressive protein content; quinoa is a kind of the power food, very good for health. I have tried a couple of quinoa salads before, but was never successful feeding this wonderful grain to my kids. Kids can get very fussy trying something new. Finally I came up with this amazing idea; and guess what? There was not any convincing required. The Appetizers were on the table and over before I knew it.
Quinoa Appetizers – Recipe makes a wonderful party snack as well especially if you have a healthy food hunters in you friend gang. These will go great in the lunch box and will make a wonderful snack with your T.V. time. 100% taste without guilt; I am loving this idea more now.
Most stores sell Quinoa in the boxes; which has all its nutritional content and how to cook written. Please read this once; if you are a first timer with the grain. However do read the below points as well, before you start with the recipe.
1. Quinoa grain has a natural coating called Saponin. This can make the Quinoa taste bitter and soapy. The good news is; it is very easy to get rid of Saponin. You will need to rinse the grain throughly with running water.
Boxed Quinoa is often pre-rinsed, but I still recommend rinsing before cooking. Use a fine-mesh strainer. You don’t want those tiny seeds to disappear down the drain!
2. One cup of dry quinoa will yields about three cups of cooked quinoa.
3. To cook one cup of quinoa you will need two cups of water. It takes about 20 minutes for the perfect fluffy grain.
4. Cover the sauce pan when cooking quinoa, when done : Remove the pot from heat and let stand for 5 more minutes, covered. Don’t peek! Fluff the quinoa gently with a fork. If any liquid remains in the bottom of the pan or if the quinoa is still a bit crunchy, return the pot to low heat and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
5. I have used boiled potatoes as a binder, added broccoli and chopped baby corn in the batter. You can customize the vegetables according to the taste
and the presence of ingredients in your fridge.
6. Cheese is also optional – if you are looking for a totally healthy snack, or you can reduce the amount used. I baked two trays, one with the extra cheese on the top (kids) and other with cherry tomatos (me, and Pranav).
7. A Pesto added a lot of flavor to the Quinoa Appetizers.
2 cups fresh basil leaves (no stems)
2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts
2 large cloves garlic
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
In the bowl of your food processor add the basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, and lemon juice and the salt and pepper. Secure your food processors lid and turn on while slowly drizzling in the olive oil.
INGREDIENTS for the Quinoa Appetizer
1. 2 Cups of boiled quiona
2. 1 cup of boiled potatoes grated
3. 1/4th cup of fresh pesto
4. 1/4th cup of grated mozzarella cheese
5. 2 heaped spoons of grated gouda cheese
6. 1/2 cup chopped babycorn and broccoli
7. olive oil to bush the cups of muffin tray
8. Salt and pepper to taste
9. Cheery tomatoes cut in half
10. Home made Salsa to serve along the Quinoa bites
Preheat the oven at 200* C and prepare a muffin tray – lightly brush the olive oil in all cavaties of the tray.
In a mixing bowl add the boiled quinoa along with boiled potatoes. Mix with a fork, and add the broccoli and chopped babycorn. Mix well.
Add in the Pesto and gouda cheese, bind all the ingredients together with hand; don’t over mash the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Fill the prepared mufin tray with the batter; don’t over fill. You can top the filled cups with mozzarella cheese or half of a cherry tomato. Bake for 10 minutes, till the cheese melts and and the quinoa holds the shape.
When done let the tray cool on the wire rack for 5 minutes. Gently lift them out by running a spatula along the side. Then use a spoon underneath to scoop out. Enjoy them when they are hot, Home made salsa sauce is a fantastic combo, I am sharing a link here for a quick recipe.