When you are in the kitchen and you are primarily responsible for mealtimes at home, you spend most of the time searching for the quick easy delicious recipe on the internet. Taste preferences and availability of ingredients at home tops the priority list to settle on a recipe. This year has not allowed us outside food and we have been surviving on our cooking skills. And most of us are recipe hunters/collectors now.
This covid year has tough us to be self-dependent and today you will find many kids helping parents in the household chores. At least they have become responsible for their own work. Indian men in the kitchen is a new normal. The true definition of companion is coming into existence and we must wear this new batch with pride.
Anyhow, this conversation can extend a lot more, but I must now take you to the recipe. Its crispy corn and very delicious and is one of my favourite snack recipes.
There is nothing complicated about this recipe and I have posted a quick video on my Insta page in reels. You can refer to that, for a quick understanding.
The key to making good crispy corn is to pick & use corn kernels from the cob and not cut them with a knife. Because we cant them with flour and deep fry them. #crispy
Generally, using juicy frozen corn or tender sweet corn is not recommended while making crispy corn, instead choose the ones that are plump, slightly firm and not too young.
I generally boil the corn on the cob in a pressure cooker and then remove the kernels after it cools down completely.
When you coat the corn with cornstarch and maida make sure it coats individual kernels well.
Be careful when frying the corn, because sometimes one or two in the frier pops and splatter oil all around.
If frying is not your thing, you can use air frier to do the job. Just slightly coat the kernel with oil before adding them to the machinePhilips Daily Collection HD9218 Air Fryer, uses up to 90% Less Fat, 1425W, with Rapid Air Technology (Black)
I choose to sautés the fried corn in garlic and onion + some capsicum. This is something classic and friendly, with our taste buds.
Pizza seasoning is what my kids prefer on everything nowadays. But you can change according to your personal liking. It’s quite a forgiving recipe. Remember to serve the dish hot, right from the wok, with some lemon juice squeezed on the top.
- Saute Pans
- 2 cups American corn
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pizza seasoning https://amzn.to/3ji1i6l
- 1/4th cup chopped onions
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4th cup chopped capsicum
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
oil for frying https://amzn.to/3lUF6Rl
- Add cornflour, all-purpose flour, pizza seasoning and salt to the boiled corn kernels in a bowl. If needed sprinkle water to mix it well. Keep it in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying. Deep fry the corn kernels. Set aside.
- Heat little oil in another pan https://amzn.to/31kqBOS. Add chopped garlic, onion, green chilli and capsicum. Keep the flame high and cook it for 2 minutes. Add fried corns and saute for a few more minutes. Check on the seating and adjust if required. Serve hot with lemon wedges and enjoy.