Ginger Bread Man Cookies using Bajra Flour made with no maida and no refined sugar. This was no less than a recipe challenge for me. I am associated with Truefarm an Organic food brand. They deal in healthy organic produce. Organic Jowar, organic Bajra, healthy protein-rich flour, nuts and oats and many more good quality health products. I was to create something Christmasy using their products and I succeeded in doing gingerbread cookies using Bajra flour.
These cookies turned out really yum, they taste like any other gingerbread cookies. The aroma of gingerbread cookie spice enhances the feel and the taste of these cookies. There is no maida and no white refined sugar gone in the making of these cookies. You can find the recipe video on my Instagram page. @2blissofbaking Pooja Khanna. Which will simply ease up the task for you.
There is nothing complicated in the recipe though. You can create the same at home. It is a simple, easy, attainable recipe. I would like to emphasize a few points, so you get the whole concept clear and easy.
Gingerbread man spice mix recipe
This is my version of making gingerbread man spice mix at home. You combine 2 Tb Ginger powder + 2 Tb Ground Cinnamon + 1 Tb Ground Cloves +1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg into a bowl. Your ginger spice mix is ready. Keep it in a jar and use as required.foodfrillz Cinnamon Powder, Nutmeg Powder,Clove Powder & Cardamom Powder, Pack of 4 Urban Platter Pure Clove Powder, 100g
I have used organic Bajra, organic brown sugar and roasted nut in this recipe. It is important to use good quality roasted nuts. Roasting nuts in the oven takes 12 – 15. Nuts are so much better when roasted in the oven. In the pan roasting, we tend to increase the flame, and nuts get darker on the outside and are usually not done form inside. I like to keep the temperature ay 150*C and roast them till I get a beautiful nutty aroma and very light brown shade on the nuts. Remove from the oven and cool.
I ground the nuts in a mixer grinder and add it to the Bajra flour.
Creaming of butter and sugar is an important step for this recipe.
You combine all the ingredients and follow all the steps as mentioned in the recipe below, but rolling and shaping of the cookies can be a tricky part. My suggestion is, to roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
Transfer the rolled out sheet on a baking tray and chill it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then you use cookie cutters to cut out the cookies. Chill it again for 10 minutes before pulling the shaped cookies out of the rolled out sheet. Now, I can’t show you all this in details, on a video because it gets too long. Following this simple procedure of chilling and shaping will save you from a confusing mess.Syga Professional Offset Spatula Set With Plastic Handle – 3-Piece, 2 Angled And 1 Straigh
Use an offset spatula to pull out cookies and be gentle with them. These cookies need a very brief baking time. 10- 12 minutes in a preheated oven at 180* C
Decorating the cookies with simple royal icing is totally a choice you make.
Ginger Bread Man Cookies Using Bajra Flour
- Rolling Pin
- Baking tray
- Preheat the oven at 180* C and line the baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl add the butter and brown sugar and cream them together using an electric beater. https://amzn.to/2KOvHxb
- Add in the milk powder and gingerbread spice mix. (see the recipe of spice mix in the article above). In a mixer grinder,https://amzn.to/2WCKPk0 roughly ground the roasted nuts and add them to the butter mix. Add in the Bajra Flour.
- Briefly combine all the ingredients with hand into a dough. Place the dough ball between two sheets of parchment paper and roll into a thin sheet. With the thickness of 1 1/2" inch to 2" inch.
- Chill the rolled out sheet for 10 minutes and cut the shapes using cookie cutters.https://amzn.to/2Wy1nK6 Use an offset spatula to pull out the shaped cookies of the sheet. Place the shaped cookies on the baking tray and bake for 10- 12 minutes in a preheated oven at 180* C.
- Cool on a wire rack and decorate as desired. Enjoy.