This chili jam is a very popular treat among Jaya aunty’s inner family circle. They love to relish on vibrantly delicious chili jam when it’s made by her. Jaya aunty is a friend’s mother and her Gujrati traditional sweets are to die for. I am a fanatic votary of her food. Here is a picture of her and me. Look how cute we look together.
This is not a chili jam that will put your mouth on fire, but it’s a subtle crafty balance of spiciness. Pranav (my darling husband) is not fond of spicy food at all and he loved this jam when I made it. For my home, it was just the right entity.
If you are really looking for a kick in the chili jam, just add one or two red spicy chilies (deseeded) to the whole batch.
Making jams at home is a simple, unchallenging task. It’s been years since I bought a jam bottle from the market. I make jams with seasonal fruits and find it very serene.
Here is an article on you will find all the information about making jams at home. All About Marmalade /Jam
This recipe has a video attached and I hope you like it. There is lemon juice in the recipe, which acts as pectin.Urban Platter Pectin Powder, 150g
If you want a very jammy consistency, use a little pectin. You will find pectin in any grocery store. I personally prefer this like a preserve, with no blobs of jelly.
It goes so perfectly with some bread and fresh ricotta cheese spread over it.
If you are planning a big batch, don’t forget to sterilize the jars, use good quality sealable jars. The jam will remain good, in a sterilized sealed jar for good six months or more. Once you open the jar, then you have to keep it in the fridge.
Chilli Jam Recipe
- Cooking Pan
- jam jars
- 500 gm fresh red chilies
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Sterilize your jam jar and leave to cool. https://amzn.to/37bbV7H
- Deseed chilies and put the cut-up chilies into a food blender https://amzn.to/3tRwAY0 and add the juice of two lemons. Pulse until they are finely chopped and gradually turned into a paste.
- Take the same amount of sugar as chilli paste. I have used approximate 1 cup of sugar in my recipe.
- Scrape the chilli mixture out of the blender and add to the cooking pan https://amzn.to/2N1FMZ9 along with the sugar.
- Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 -15 minutes.Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools
- The jam will remain good, in a sterilized sealed jar for good six months or more. Once you open the jar, then you have to keep it in the fridge.