You must be getting conflicting ideas by the name of this post. Somewhere an interest in knowing more about this recipe is entering your mind doors because it’s different. Granola, trail mix, etc are usually expected in sugared avatars. As we expect to receive high energy from such these.
If you are an athlete or you are working on muscle building such foods are recommended to you. But if you are one of those, sitting in front of the tv and gloriously devouring a jar of granola, debating with the conscious, to prove your act of lazy binge, you must stop.
Do you know the granola and trail mix contains sugar? The packet may say no sugar, but the manufacturers have found smart ways to eliminate refined sugar with other sweet ingredients. Which are high in calories with some nutritional benefits.
Overeating is the culprit mostly if you are struggling to understand the weight/health chapter of your life.
This pizza trail mix is like a savoury granola. It was an experiment which went quite successful, hence I am shring it with you here. You will find the recipe video on my Instagram page in IGTV video. Find me with the name @2blissofbaking, Pooja Khana
Mostly recipe like granola and trail mix requires binder. A binder clusters the ingredients and we enjoy crispy crunchy nutty textures with sugary comforts. Without a binder, the flavors don’t stick to the ingredients.
When making a savory trail mix., my difficulty was to replace the sugar with something that will act as a binder and will not have calories of sugary ingredients.
Egg white solved that snag. Now many of you are not comfortable using eggs, unfortunately, I can’t give you a replacement for egg white for this recipe. Something like Aquafaba might work, but I haven’t tried it yet.
I don’t like to hide the flaws of the recipes, this is the page where I talk my heart out with you. This was my first trial with the trail mix, next time when I make it, I will bring in few changes though. One is I will not add peanuts, now this can be my personal taste, I wasn’t very pleased with the presence of peanuts when eating it.
Secondly, I forgot to add sesame seeds, it was in my mind when I was imagining the recipe but somehow missed adding them when making.
I would go less on oats also and would add some rice crisps to the trail mix, This will bring more crunch to the experience.
You can add the nuts and seeds of your choice, Such recipes are very flexible in nature, a bit less or more doesn’t harm the outcome.
Few more healthy recipes for you here
Pizza Trail Mix
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- 1 egg-white room temperature
- 1/4 cup almonds https://amzn.to/3sao0mh
- 1/4th cup cashew nuts https://amzn.to/3sckVlD
- 1/4th cup walnuts https://amzn.to/3sckqrM
- 1/4th cup peanuts https://amzn.to/2LylcP7
- 1/4th cup oats https://amzn.to/39eNeaA
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pizza spice https://amzn.to/3q7OoLL
- 2 tsp onion flakes https://amzn.to/3qbxdJ8
- 1/2 tsp dry garlic https://amzn.to/38xxiRO
- 2 tsp flax seeds https://amzn.to/3bsfkC0
- 2 tsp sunflower seeds https://amzn.to/35t4tE0
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds https://amzn.to/39loHAx
- 2 tsp honey https://amzn.to/3nAOGJo
- 1/4th cup sun-dried tomatoes https://amzn.to/38uEEFy
- Whisk the egg white in a bowl using a wire whisk. Whisk till it's frothy. Add in all the ingredients, combine all using a spatula.
- Spread the mix on a baking tray in a single flat layer. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 120*C Give the trail mix a stir after 15 minutes of baking time and bake further for the next 30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven when done, leave the door of the oven ajar and let the trail mix cool in the oven itself.
- Cut sundried tomatoes into small snippets and add to the trail mix. Mix and store in an airtight container.