Sandwich making is everywhere, its universal. It’s the handiest/easiest job. The first thing we learn to make/cook/ prepare in the kitchen is a sandwich. We all have our favourites, and today I have for you is called 101 Sandwich Ideas. These sandwich combos have been tried and tested by me. I mean not today, before this post, but I have played around these textures and flavours. Hence, I am calling this post sandwich idea (not recipes). Though I have given details in many ideas mentioned below. If you want to know more about any particular one, please do right to me and I will be happy to help.
Also, this post has all the vegetarian sandwich ideas and I have not included any sandwich where the egg is required.
Rule no. 1 – is to select a good bread, for making a great sandwich. Other then white and brown sliced bread there is a variety in the market available now. You must try out artisan bread, rustic loaf, multigrain ones, sourdough, rye bread etc.
How to Avoid the soggy ones
A thin layer of butter on bread acts as a sealant.
Blot ripped tomato slices (if using any), on a piece of kitchen paper to absorb the wetness, before adding to your sandwich. Especially, if you are packing a sandwich to take along.
Always wash lettuce or the greens before adding to the sandwich, pat-dry properly before adding to your sandwich.
Don’t be stingy with condiments, neither overdo them. When it comes to filling Expand your thought, don’t get stuck to the old comfort ideas. I have here for you is a variety and my those experiments, which have been successful.
Hope you like:
- Baked Beans, lettuce Sandwich with Nachos – You have had baked bean toast in breakfast, but have you tried making it into a sandwich. Easy to make, delicious to eat and is a simple flavour combo. How to – Butter a slice of bread, place a fresh leaf of lettuce with a generous tablespoon of baked beans Heinz Baked Beanz in Tomato Sauce, 415g (Be careful not to get the liquid from baked beans to the sandwich) then add a handful of crushed nachos Fritolay Doritos Nacho Cheese, 198 g on the top. Cover it with another slice of buttered bread and enjoy. (Make sure you add nachos in the end to avoid sogginess).
- Baked sweet potato with cheese – cut sweet potatoes like slices, place them on a baking tray, sprinkle salt, pepper, oil and fresh rosemary. Bake for 15minutese at 180* C. Place the bake sweet potato slice on a buttered bread slice along with cheese slice and sandwich with another bread slice. You can skip the cheese and use a yoghurt dip.
- Boat Bread stuffed – Cut an oval in the top of the loaf of bread, scooping out the bread in the centre and make a “bread boat.” Mix the cream cheese Home Breads Kraft Philadelphia Original Cream Cheese, 226G (Pack Of 2) , saute spinach, boiled corn, green onions, bell peppers, hot sauce Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 266mland chilli powder until fully combined. Spoon the mixture into the hollow centre of the bread loaf. Sprinkle some mozzarella and Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbling. Serve hot!
- Bombay Kaccha – Call it school sandwich – Trim the bread edges, apply butter and spicy coriander chutney, arrange tomato, cucumber, boiled potato, onions (all thinly sliced) sprinkle with salt, chaat masala and cover with another slice of bread. This is best made in a double-decker style.
- Bombay Toasty – Nicely butter the bread slices. Put a layer of mint chutney on the bread. Put potatoes, cucumber, onion, capsicum and tomato slices. Season with salt and chaat masala. Heat a pan and 1 tsp of butter. Toast the sandwiches on both sides till crispy brown. You can add cheese to make it more delicious.
- Caprese – meatless Italian sandwich idea – Shredded mozzarella cheese with roasted tomato, light mayonnaise, fresh greens, red onion, basil and a balsamic glaze. Served on our toasted Italian ciabatta roll. Absolutely delicious, wholesome treat.
- Carrot, peas creamy sandwich – Mix grated carrot, boiled coarsely mashed green peas cheese spread, chopped green chillies, minced garlic clove and season well. Spread between two slices of bread and serve. You can replace hung yoghurt instead of cheese spread to make it healthy.
- Cheddar & oven dried Tomato – Cut the tomatoes into halves lengthwise. Place cut-side up on a baking sheet, season with salt and let stand 20 minutes. Roast in a 100*C until slightly dry but still juicy, about 4 hours. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme. Mix these tomatoes with cheddar and spread between two slices of bread and enjoy the sandwich.
- Cheese & Mango Chutney Sandwich – I have made tarts with aam papad chutney once, and it works great in the sandwich too. Make aam papad chutney – cook chopped aam papad with black salt and some chilly powder, you will need to add some water when cooking. Spread some chilly mango chutney with cheese between the slices of bread and grill. Or have it just like that.
- Cheese and roasted red pepper – Roast bell peppers in the oven and peel off the skin and remove the membranes and seeds. Dice it and mix it with shredded cheese. This makes an interesting flavourful sandwich. Grill, it or have it as such, it’s delicious.
- Chickpea filler toast sandwich – Mix some chopped onions, chopped coriander, green chillies to boiled channa (chickpea). Season with salt, garam masala and lemon juice. Sandwich the mashed chickpea mix between two slices and toast.
- Chilli Coriander and Cheese Sandwich – Mix cheese with freshly chopped coriander and chopped green chillies. Spread on sliced bread and make a sandwich.
- Chilly cheese stuffed – Use cheese chilly (Chinese style) stir-fry as a filling in a long loaf Bread with some sticky soy sauce and honey glaze, add in red chilli and crunchy spring onions. You can add a lot of fresh vegetable + salad leaves, something similar to Subway Sandwich. Here is how you can make subway sauces at home
- Chocolate Spread & Banana – This is a fruity treat for kids. Nutella Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa 290gIts simple but a classic combo.
- Chocolate Spread & Strawberries – Fresh strawberries with the chocolate spread between the slices of a bread is a heaven for kids .. for me too.
- Chocolate walnut toasted – hahaha! when photographing for this blog post, my kids insisted on making this sandwich first. Its simple – chocolate spread Hershey’s Spread, Cocoa with Almond, 350g mixed with nuts and – spread it between two slices and slightly grill and serve.
- Chutney butter – very classic, with a little or more butter and green chutney in between the two slices. One of my cousin like to sprinkle sugar in-between, if the chutney is spicy.
- Chutney cheese – again your mom’s green chutney with grated processed cheese. Do spread a thin coat of butter to the bread slice before adding chutney to the bread slice.
- Cold sandwich – slows cooked/grilled onions with fresh basil, chopped cherry tomatoes and hung yoghurt dip. Serve the mix sandwiched between two slices of bread.
- Cool cucumber – crisp, cool, diced cucumber, chopped green onion on a bread slice with herbed mayoVeeba Chipotle Southwest Salad Dressing, 300g.
- Cottage cheese with bell pepper Oriental style sandwich – Take 1 tbsp oil in a sauté pan add the paneer cubes and cook for 1 min each side till golden brown. Add 1 more tbsp. of oil into the same pan add chopped ginger and garlic. Add chopped onions and cook for 2 min. Add bell peppers and cook for another 2 min. Now, add the green chillies and cook further for a min. Add the soy sauce, chilli sauce, pepper and salt and stir. This is delicious when you serve it in a bread bowl. For the bread bowl – Preheat oven to 180*C. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the round bun bread with a serrated knife. Remove bread from the inside, making it hollow. Brush olive oil on the inside of the bread bowl. Bake bread bowl on a baking sheet for 15 minutes, until golden on the inside.
- Cream Cheese & Cucumber – Very basic and simple to make but a classic favourite sandwich. Make sure yo squeeze out all the water from grated cucumber before mixing with cream cheese. Add fresh herbs for extra favours.
- Cream Cheese & Grated Carrot – Simple but delicious. Mix them both and spread between the bread slices. You can also replace cream cheese with hung yoghurt dip to make it healthier.
- Cream Cheese & Pineapple – add chopped pineapple pieces from a tinned pineapple can to cream cheese and spread it on sliced bread.
- Cream Cheese and Jelly – Sandwich softened cream cheese and raspberry or strawberry jelly/jam between slices of whole-wheat bread. Trim the crusts and cut into pieces.
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom served with toasted Focaccia – In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add the butter. Add the mushroom and minced garlic and saute until tender. Add cream, parmesan cheese or the cheese in your fridge, Italian seasoning Keya Thyme Bottle, 30g, salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce is bubbly and smooth. This makes a wonderful boat sandwich or open-faced sandwich.
- Crunchy Nacho Sandwich – Mix together shredded cheese, chopped capsicum, olives, Jalapeños Borges Jalapeno Stuffed Green Olives, 450g with a dash of lemon in a bowl. Butter the bread slice and spread the cheese mix on to one slice. The key is to not let the chips get damp, that leads to a soggy mess. You need to cook the sandwich open-faced and add the chips right before you’re done the grilling. Then you put the sandwich together, cut and eat.
- Crushed corn supreme sandwich – boiled corn along with diced green onions, a spoon full of mayo and a fist full of cheddar cheese Dlecta Natural Cheddar Cheese – 1Kg Block. You will need to season it with some salt and pepper. Spread between two slices of bread and grill. Or you can also serve it as a sandwich which will need grilling.
- Eggplant-Yogurt pita sandwich – Fill pita bread with chopped grilled eggplant and diced cucumber. Add a dollop of Greek yoghurt (or hung yoghurt) mixed with chopped mint. You can have the same sandwich in regular bread, if you are a fan of eggplant, you will love this.
- Exotic stir-fry vegetable Sandwich – Broccoli, baby corn, bell peppers, French beans, carrot and mushrooms all stir-fried in garlic butter. Serve then piled on a toasted sourdough bread slice along with hung yoghurt dip.
- Falafel with Hummus – You can use baked falafel for a healthier version or use a deep-fried one. Stuff it in the slices of bread also with some salad leaves, tomatoes and cucumbers. Add hummus or hung yoghurt dip. This makes a perfect healthy treat if made in multigrain bread.
- Ferrero sandwich – It’s fattening but kids love it. Make it an occasional treat. Hershey’s chocolate spread + crushed Ferrero Rocher Ferrero Rocher Assorted Chocolates – 15 Pieces – With 2 Natural Yellow Led Diya between two slices of bread.
- Goats cheese and fig – Goat cheese with fresh figs with a little drizzle of honey makes just an amazing open-faced sandwich. It is best when served as a bruschetta or a crostini.
10 Quick Vegetarian Bruschetta Topping Ideas
- Green Mayo sandwich – Grind fresh coriander and some chilly in a blender add this to mayonnaise. Add some chopped green capsicum and chopped green onion. Spread it between two slices of bread and enjoy.
- Green peas with spiced mayo sandwich – Saute boiled green peas, with a pinch soda bi-carb and salt, on a medium flame. Once cooled, add the mayonnaise and chilli sauce and mix well. Add prepared peas stuffing on a slice of buttered + green chutney bread and sandwich with another bread slice and serve.
- Grilled Aubergine with tomato salsa and cheese – Yes, the name is little long, but all you have to do is add all three in a split loaf of bread and grill. Serve hot.
- For Tomato salsa -Chopped tomatoes 2,1 jalapeño, seeded and roughly chopped, 1/2 chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed, juice of 1 lemon, 1 cup chopped coriander, salt and a hint of tomato ketchup
- Grilled Baby corn sandwich – Grill baby corn slit into two lengthwise using garlic and butter. Add them to the bread slice which is slightly butter. Add pickled onions ring and a good dollop of mayo. Serve.
- Grilled veggies with Jalapeños sandwich – Grill veggies of your choice spread on a flatbread and top with and some jalapeños and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 minutes and serve hot.
- Healthy double-decker – hung yoghurt, grated cucumber (squeeze out all the water) with fresh lettuce and sun-dried tomatoes in multigrain bread slices. Make it double-decker style and serve.
- Healthy roasted veggies with cream cheese – Cover a baking tray with aluminium foil and coat with olive oil. Spread out all of the vegetables in one even layer and season. You can add fresh thyme and rosemary leaves. Add more olive oil on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 425* F. Spread some cream cheese Home Breads Kraft Philadelphia Original Cream Cheese, 226G (Pack Of 2) on an open toasted bread slice and top with your favourite oven roasted veggies.
- Hot chutney cheese – it is a classic, it’s important to use the ratio to hot chutney and cheese 1:2 Go with the chutney in your fridge – Red chilly, tomato chilly, hot date chutney, and even hot mango chutney. This sandwich is more delicious when grilled.
- Idli sandwich – There is this place at King Circle, Matunga, Rama Nayak and Sons Udipi. This innovation of theirs has been around for the last 30 years. They are prepared in idli moulds with the idli batter, spicy garlic chutney, tomato, and butter.
- Jalapeño poppers Grilled sandwich – Roast Jalapeño in an oven rub the loosened skin off, remove the seeds and cut strips of it. Spread a thin layer of Crean cheese, and add jalapeños along with some cheddar. Toast it till golden using a little butter
- Leftover pasta with lettuce – yes! An all-time favourite, especially with cold pasta salad. Just tuck it in the slice and enjoy.
- Lettuce with Tomato jam with cheese – Spread some tomato jam on each bread slice. Place few iceberg lettuce leaves, baby spinach leaves and a cheese slice on a bread slice. Sprinkle some salt and crushed peppercorns on top and cover with remaining bread slices, jam side down.
- Tomato jam- blanch, remove the skin and deseed and chop tomatoes. Cook tomatoes, sugar, cinnamon stick and ginger with a squeeze of lemon juice over medium flame. Avoid scorching and cook till jam consistency. You need sugar for the kind of gooey, sticky quality One cup sugar for a kg of tomatoes.
- Masala peas parmesan sandwich – To make my style masala peas – In a pan add oil, hing (Asafetida), jeera add boiled peas and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Mash them coarsely. Add red chilly powder, salt, amchoor, and a dash of garam masala. Spread this mix on a slice of bread and add some cheese. Grill the sandwich with some butter and enjoy a hot treat.
- Masala vegetarian Omelette – a Classic savoury pancake made with chickpea flour, onion, tomato, lots of coriander and green chillies. Serve it sandwiched between two slices of bread with some ketchup. It is best if the chickpea pancake is thinner and crisper.
- The Mediterranean layered – brush bread slice with green pesto, place lettuce, sweet grilled bell peppers, juicy tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and enjoy! You can also grill the same and it turns out delicious.
- Melba toast – Melba Toasts are great for making ahead as they’ll keep well in an airtight container. The best way to serve our Easy Melba Toasts is with a buffet or cold cuts, cheese, chutneys, pickles, pates, cream cheese, hummus, guacamole, salami and so on. Cut the crusts off the bread and cut each slice diagonally so it is a triangle shape. Place in the oven at a low temperature, approximately 140* C for approximately 20 minutes or until a light golden brown. Halfway through, turn each piece over so it is cooked evenly. Watch out it doesn’t burn! TIP: If you’re really short on time, pop the bread in a toaster and then cut the crusts off and pop in the oven to crisp up. When golden in colour, turn out on to cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for 2 days maximum.
- Mexican bell pepper with cheese sandwich – Hollow out the bottom and top halves of a long loaf bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell. Spread cooked and mashed red bean over bottom half of bread; top with roasted zucchini, onion, and roasted bell pepper. Sprinkle with shredded cheese Dlecta Natural Cheddar Cheese – 1Kg Block. Top with top half of bread. Coat both sides of sandwich with butter. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Remove sandwich from pan; cut into quarters. And serve hot.
- Mumbai Vada Pav– oh! Does not need an introduction. You can replace pav with multigrain bread when made at home. I use to crave vada pav when I was expecting my younger daughter. And she loves it a lot.
- Mushroom toast – Add the butter to the pan followed by the mushrooms. Cook for 2 mins, then add the garlic and cream. Cook for 3-5 mins more until the mushrooms are soft and lightly coated in cream. Add fresh coriander. Pile up on the butter toasted slice and serve.
- Mushroom with Indian spices subway style – You have a leftover mushroom in gravy in the fridge. Butter a long loaf of bread (centre slit) and toast it little on a griddle. Similar to pav for pav bhaji. Stuff salad and mushroom from the gravy in it. Serve as a subway sandwich and make dinner interesting.