The path to a mind-blowing Harissa Cumin Dressing which is exactly like the one we buy from the market under the name of Veeba is through a harissa chilli paste base. I personally, like the brand Veeba. They have a phenomenal range of sauces and dressings. And this is not a paid promotion.
I just like to create recipes at home. Doing a recipe from scratch and tapping it in various ways to understand the versatility of the concoction is a fun experiment for me. For example, in this recipe, once you have the Harissa chilli base ready, you can use it in so many different ways.
Add this base paste to the mayonnaise, you have a fantastic spread for your sandwiches, add it to the salad dressings, add a little of it to your open toast mix and take it to the other level, to the cutlet mix, make harissa paneer/ potatoes/mushrooms or any non-veg item. The other day, I prepared a healthy lunch bowl with broccoli rice and harissa spiced paneer served with a toasted multigrain bread slice. It was a filling, comforting, delicious meal. I shared a video recipe on my Insta reels. You must have seen that I guess. Because most of you are already following the page on Instagram.
This recipe is easy to prepare at home and the end result is incredibly delicious The base chilli paste is so versatile. Once you make it you will be able to wisely anticipate the usages this base harissa blend can give you.
Harissa is a North African chilli paste, it is a blend of chillies seasoned with coriander and caraway seeds. The spice level depends on the choice of chillies you pick. Some recipes will call for an addition of plum or raisins. The paste, in the end, is supposed to be thicker inconsistency, but you can blend more and make it smoother than mine.
I have taken the regular dry red chillies from the grocery next to my home. Removing the seeds is a must, you snip off the stem and shake the seeds out. If you like to keep the heat, don’t cut off the membranes of the chillies, because they carry the heat.
Soak the chillies for at least 4 -5 hours. In regular water. Which makes it easier to blend.
Dry roast the cumin, coriander and fennel. Make sure to keep the flame low and keep it stirring when roasting or it gets an uneven burnt patch.
You must check on the seasoning, and adjust it according to your taste.
Veeba Harissa Chilli Cumin Dressing
- 1 mixer blender
- 2 Mixing bowls
- 12- 13 whole dry red chillies https://amzn.to/3KKye5z
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds https://amzn.to/3CFOSA8
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds https://amzn.to/3w2AeC3
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds https://amzn.to/3tRpS5c
- 1/4th cup white vinegar https://amzn.to/3Jb99QF
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th cup olive oil https://amzn.to/3MPatuH
- 1 cup mayonnaise https://amzn.to/3I3MVi9
- Cut and deseed the chillies. Soak them in the water for 3-4 hours. Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds on a low medium flame for a minute or till they release the aroma. Make sure not to burn the. Blend these seeds in a mixer blender, once they cool down. https://amzn.to/37vwUVT
- Blend till you get a fine powder. Now to the same blender add the soaked chillies (don’t add any water)Add in the salt, vinegar, and olive oil. Blend again till you get a smoother paste. This is the base chilli paste you can use any other way.
- For making Veeba harissa chilli cumin, add in the mayonnaise and use a hand whisk to mix them together well. Taste and adjust the seasoning and enjoy!