Sometimes we have limited resources but the desire is immense enough to propel us towards our wants and look for the ways to acquire. These times are challenging for all, every being on this globe is facing a narrowly restricted lifestyle. Hopefully, we get through these times all fine and hearty and one day we tell our grandchildren stories of this #quaratinelife
Homebound is not easy but it’s not all bad either. Count on your blessings and live a content life.
Over the last week, I have received several phone / social media queries asking for cake ideas with limited ingredients.
When there is a birthday or an anniversary at home, we try our best to make it special for the one we love. The outside scenario doesn’t change the love and the warmth we hold for our family. The aura of being blessed is far greater than the narrow, restricted tight lives we are living these days. Even if we can’t do much, we still can manage so much because ultimately it’s the affection and endearment that matters.
I have ideas listed below for you. Normally when a friend calls and asks for a cake recipe, using whatever she can manage, we go over long conversations discussing all that can be done at her end to make/bake a special cake.
We can play with a few ingredients present at home to make a decent cake. Unlike my friends, I would not know what you have at home right now and what you desire to bake. So I decided to break down this post into three categories. One is the base/body of the cake and the other can be cream or glaze part of the cake. The third is the decors and the toppings for the cakes. Remember I am not going fancy today, it is all about the ideas. And you will be the best one to pick and choose from the list below according to your wants and accessibility.
1. Water chocolate cake, which does not require eggs, yoghurt, milk. Just your staple ingredients. It’s a very interesting and quick recipe to bake at home. Click here to know, how to bake this basic cake at home.
2. Bread cake is made using white bread slices and whipped cream. Very similar to pineapple pastry, but interesting enough to celebrate a birthday at home with loved ones.
3. Biscuit cake is made using crushed biscuits and milk and some Eno. You can either steam this cake or you bake it. This turns out very soft, fluffy and delicious.
4. You can also make quite a presentable cake using pancake and layering it with cream, chocolate, Nutella or glaze.
5. How about using crapes to make a layered cake.
You can see the recipe of crapes here and layer it with some Nutella, jam, preserves or with cream. Yum
6. Biscuits can be turned into the base of a cake very easily. Dip the biscuits in the milk and arrange in the bottom of a dish. Spread whipped cream or cream cheese over the biscuit layer. Then arrange another layer of dipped biscuits. Spread some more whipped cream, cream cheese or Nutella or jam or fruit layer or melted chocolate over the top. Arrange last (third) layer of dipped biscuits on top.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. You can pour some chocolate ganache over the top and enjoy.
If you dip biscuits into coffee and top it up with cream cheese, and dust some cocoa powder on the top. You have created a tiramisu cheats cake.
7. Then there are crushed biscuits mixed with melted butter base for cheesecakes.
8. You can use granola in the base of these no-bake cakes, crushed cereal mixed with melted chocolate is another option.
9. How about peanut butter and crushed cereal along with some chocolate for the base and top it up with marshmallows (if you have any at home)
10. Dates and granola along with some roasted nuts and seeds.
11. Crushed popcorn coated with chocolate to make a base and topped with marshmallows, gummies, nuts and chocolate chunks.
12. Dry coconut and condensed milk will give you a fudge type consistency add some white chocolate to it and prepare a base for your cake. Top it us with some tropical fruit. if you have a pineapple at home chop them up into tiny bits. Cook them in sugar water. You can add some cornstarch to thicken the consistency. Add some lemon to balance the overall sweetness. Coconut, white chocolate and condensed milk tend to get very sweet. So use your judgement and go with some fruity citric topping for such desserts.
1. Quick chocolate ganache
Understanding the Chocolate Ganache:
The chocolate ganache is all about the proportion of cream to chocolate. Glazes have thinner ( pouring )consistency so a higher percentage of cream is required. A thicker ganache for frosting or for rolling into truffles needs to be stiffer, so the chocolate percentage is higher.
To Make ;
Layer cake filling and thick glaze: 1:1, equal parts chocolate and cream.
Chocolate truffles: 2:1, two parts chocolate to one part cream.
Soft icing and runny glaze: 1:2, one part chocolate to two parts cream.
(1:1 ratio means 4 ounces chocolate to 4 ounces cream)
2. Nutella can also be mixed with some milk to pour over a baked cake. You can add some whipped cream to Nutella and turn it into a chocolate frosting.
3. Chocolate mousse – is one of the most wanted and loved dessert. you can very easily make it at home and top up any cake base with it.
4. Caramel is yum and turns out really handy. You can drizzle it over a cake slice or use it in the layers. And all you need is sugar.
5. Custard – You can make custard and use it along with fruits to top up cakes.
6. Gelatine – jelly at home. you can add chopped fruits in the jelly and over a layer of cream cheese. This works very well with the bread cake.
7. Jam can be used to glaze fruits or to cook the fruits into a dollop suitable consistency. This can grace any simple looking cake with a twinkle.
8. Of course, there is whipped cream, to add finesse with the least amount of effort. You can add flavours to the cream. Fruits, chocolate, coffee or look into your pantry and take a call.
9. Sweet, flavoured yoghurt is indeed a healthy and convenient escape. If you can’t manage anything use hung yoghurt, whisk it with some strawberry preserve and use it layer a bread slice cake or a biscuit cake or a cookie cake.
Add a bit of gelatin to it and make a yum cake. In this post here I have explained the concept clearly
10. You can dip some bread slices into some sweetened condensed milk (thin inconsistency) and top it up with whipped cream and fruit yoghurt. Similar to tresh leche cake – my favourite cake. Yum
11. Cook apples with some sugar and cinnamon. Place these cooked apples in a baking tray and top it up with some khari biscuits. brush it up with some sugar syrup and bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot with a scoop of ice-cream (if you can arrange)
Remember to divide the khari biscuit into two parts separating the layers to reduce the height of each biscuit.
12. You can layer or top any base/body of the cake with peanut butter and chocolate spread.
13. Marshmallow can be meted and used. Provided you have them.
14. Powder sugar, cocoa powder, warm water and a tiny bit of butter can make a yum chocolate glaze. This works wonders with biscuit cake and with water chocolate cake, pancakes and with crepes.
15. And of course, you can make the buttercream, if you have butter and icing sugar and some milk.
You can add various flavours to the buttercream for an exciting outcome.